Wednesday 29 December 2010

Storyville

Books I have read this year (not actually in order, except the first 20 or so, which are in reverse order with the most recent first (which I know is the definition of 'reverse order', but just to clarify in case there was any confusion. Yes, I'm a pedant)):

1. Timekeepers (Catherine Webb - reread)
2. Creatures of Light and Darkness (Roger Zelazny - reread)
3. Nation (Terry Pratchett - reread)
4. The Doomsday Machine (Catherine Webb)
5. I Shall Wear Midnight (Terry Pratchett)
6. Waywalkers (Catherine Webb - reread)
7. Scott Pilgrim and the Infinite Sadness (Bryan Lee O'Malley)
8. Scott Pilgrim vs The World (Bryan Lee O'Malley)
9. Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life (Bryan Lee O'Malley)
10. Twelfth Night (William Shakespeare)
11. Howl's Moving Castle (Diana Wynne Jones - reread)
12. The Obsidian Dagger (Catherine Webb)
13. The Last Watch (Sergei Lukyanenko)
14. Making Money (Terry Pratchett - reread)
15. Jack of Shadows (Roger Zelazny)
16. Flinx Transcendent (Alan Dean Foster)
17. Mirror Dreams (Catherine Webb)
18. Mirror Wakes (Catherine Webb)
19. The Midnight Mayor (Kate Griffin)
20. The Twilight Watch (Sergei Lukyanenko)
21. The Night Watch (Sergei Lukyanenko)
22. The Day Watch (Sergei Lukyanenko)
23. The Dinosaur Hunters (Deborah Cadbury)
24. Armageddon: The Musical (Robert Rankin - reread)
25. Nine Princes in Amber (Roger Zelazny)
26. The Guns of Avalon (Roger Zelazny)
27. Sign of the Unicorn (Roger Zelazny)
28. The Hand of Oberon (Roger Zelazny)
29. The Courts of Chaos (Roger Zelazny)
30. Trumps of Doom (Roger Zelazny)
31. Blood of Amber (Roger Zelazny)
32. Sign of Choas (Roger Zelazny)
33. Knight of Shadows (Roger Zelazny)
34. Prince of Chaos (Roger Zelazny)
35. The End of Mr Y (Scarlett Thomas - read most of it, got distracted by something else. Will finish it at some point but was not totally fascinated by it)
36. The Tempest (William Shakespeare)
37. A Midsummer Night's Dream (William Shakespeare - reread)
38. The Journal of Gideon Mantell (bit of a skim-read in places, but very entertaining!)
39. Twilight (Stephanie Meyer - easily the worst book I've read this year, by a clear country mile)
40. The Time Traveller's Wife (Audrey Niffenegger)
And possibly one or two others I've forgotten.

Hmm, a few themes becoming apparent there. Got into Zelazny in a big way for a while, then Lukyanenko (seriously, that is a bloody good series, you must read it!), and I've been gradually working my way through Catherine Webb's back-catalogue (and I'm insanely jealous that someone several years younger than me has a back-catalogue, and so much talent as a writer - I've always wanted to write, but never been any good! If I could write, her books are pretty much what I would write!).

I seem to have read a lot of books by not many authors this year! And it would have been more, but after an intense period of reading I got a bit tired after I Shall Wear Midnight and took a bit of a break to catch up on some TV watching instead! Got through 2 seasons of Fringe in 2 weeks! Bloody love that show!

Also, there are quite a few books on the list that I've re-read this year. I know a lot of people will read a book once and never again, but there are some books, and some authors, that I adore and can read many times without boredom...when I was a teenager I read the Pratchett/Gaiman masterpiece Good Omens on a semi-annual basis. My copy looks very battered now! Next year I must attempt to read more new books. Already on my list is the next Kate Griffin book, The Neon Court (the third book in the absolutely brilliant Matthew Swift series. Go read it. Now.), which isn't even out until February! I'm quite excited. For those not in the know, Kate Griffin is Catherine Webb's alter ego, the name she uses for her adult fiction (her other works are technically classed as teen fiction, even though they're not really). And she's now one of my favourite authors, in the august company of Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

So, people. The list should give you some idea of my tastes...what other books should I be reading? I'm sure there are many fantastic books that have passed me by over the years, so what do you recommend I read next year? Which authors should I have in my collection?

2 comments:

  1. How many times have I said Julian May??

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's next on the pile! I've gotten through the prologue!

    ReplyDelete