Sunday 28 March 2010

This Is A Low

Been sitting here listening to Parklife (because To The End was used in an episode of Misfits I watched earlier - brilliant show!) and wondering how I could have forgotten how good Blur were. I loved them intensely when I was a teenager, but then kind of forgot about them. I don't even own Think Tank. Maybe I'll have to rectify that next time I'm in Fopp. Because they really were bloody good. I missed them at Glastonbury last year (one of my two great Glasto regrets, the other being missing David Bowie in 2000), not because I didn't have a ticket - I did - but because we'd had a bit of a disastrous weekend and by Sunday evening I was so knackered that I was just ready to go home. And I thought Blur would just be a bit of a nostalgia-fest...amusing, but irrelevant. So I went home and watched the set on TV. And immediately wished I was back in that field. I'd have been squashed and hot and probably falling asleep on my feet, but I'd have been there. At the start of every song I was sitting there going "Oh, wow!", and I still remembered all the words, even after so long. Blur were one of my first musical loves, and are one of the few bands that I always wanted to see that I never did. It's a short list, and they're somewhere near the top.

I don't regret going home early, because I really think I'd have been dying on my feet if I had stayed there, but I do regret missing Blur. I need them to do a few more smaller gigs so I can see them! But it won't happen. They are now firmly retired.

So that's my little Sunday evening reverie. I'm gonna go dig out Modern Life is Rubbish.

No comments:

Post a Comment